Veterans Memorial Building
In 1945, members of the Gilroy community service clubs met and decided that something should be done for local veterans and a 12-member committee was formed to develop a plan. It was decided a building should be dedicated to veterans and they set out to secure property.
Once the property at 74 W. Sixth Street was secured, the South Santa Clara Valley Memorial District was formed. The board spent the next several years raising money through a local tax assessment and the 6,350-square-foot Veterans Memorial Hall opened on May 25, 1951. The building, which includes a bar, full kitchen, auditorium, meeting room, and garden patio, cost $90,000 including furnishings.
Mayor George C. Milias presided over the opening ceremonies. Lieutenant Governor Goodwin C. Knight dedicated the building with state heads of both the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign War in attendance.
Today four veterans groups use the Memorial Hall for meetings. These groups include the American Legion Post 217, the Auxiliary of the American Legion Post 217, the Veterans of Foreign War Post 6309 and the Auxiliary of Veterans of Foreign War Post 6309.
However, the Hall is available to all residents of the District service area, including all members of the armed services, non-profit organizations and the general public.
The District’s board of directors is determined to provide a quality, first-class facility to make the community proud.
6,350 total square feet
Main Hall – 127 dining; 271 assembly
Auxiliary Hal – 54 dining; 116 assembly
Wedding Receptions, Dinners, Adult Birthday Parties, etc. (The Hall is not available for quinceañeras, sweet 16 parties or other events for minors)
$1,250 plus $500 deposit and one-day rental insurance
Business Meetings, baby showers, and other short events
$625 plus $250 deposit and one-day rental insurance
For more information about renting our facilities and to receive a rental agreement, please call 408.842-3838 to schedule an appointment or complete the form below.